Re: RE: SELF DEVELOPMENT VS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPER
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:39:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 28, 2004, at 8:43 AM, MerylD [at] aol.com wrote:

 Hi all:
South Florida cohousing in Delray, Florida, recently went belly-up,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I thought you had gotten beyond the failure point. I must say the problems sound similar to those had by the group earlier -- difficulty with permitting and escalating construction costs -- and just plain unreliable professionals. I was sort of a "middle of the process member" and the difference from the professionals in DC where I ended up was remarkable. Not without huge problems but not a disaster either.

Unless you have lived in South Florida it hard to comprehend the low level of expertise there. While there are incompetent professionals every where, in Florida they thrive. High tolerance for Tropical Time -- manana and muy siestas -- and expectations of ever escalating prices. So much money flowed into the state in the 90s for various reasons -- one being money hidden from bankruptcy suits elsewhere -- that real estate is a particularly chancy investment.

Most regrettable is that the developer got the land. Probably the only suitable piece of land left in the area. It was far from perfect (not a good school system) and far from jobs in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, but it was there and in friendly hands.

I'm particularly sorry for you, Meryl, since you picked up a dropped ball and ran so far with it.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC