Using carpeting as soundproofing in private units
From: David Heimann (heimannWORLD.STD.COM)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:14:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hello everyone,

        In designing our units, we have put in a good amount of
soundproofing between units since we want to have a minimum of noise
between units.  We were told, however, that the only effective way to
minimize sound transmission between that are units above and below each
other is to use soft flooring (carpeting) rather than hard flooring
(hardwood, etc.) in the upper units.  Accordingly, we decided to put
carpeting in all units that are above other units.  Those units could not
choose to have hardwood floors even as an option.

        We are now in the process of writing condo documents as well as
rules and regulations.  How do we legally require carpeting or other
sound-deadening floor coverings in the upper level units, considering that
otherwise the unit owners or their successors could later on remove the
carpeting and replace it with much noisier hardwood or other hard
flooring?  Has anyone addressed this situation and if so how?

        Thanks for your assistance on this question.  I hope all your
summers are going well!

Sincerely,
David Heimann
JP Cohousing