Re: Using carpeting as soundproofing in private units
From: Jim Rebman (seamusindra.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:30:23 -0700 (PDT)
David,

Carpeting is definitely not the only or best way to soundproof upper
apartments, and it does nothing to stop the upward spread of fire.  For
this you need concrete flooring (relatively thin) and use of
high-quality soundproffing, fire-retardent insulation in the ceilings
between the upper and lower units.  Here at Wild Sage we have many upper
floor loft apartments which opted for wood floors, and while I believe
there is a thin concrete floor in the upper apartment I'm not sure of
the remainder of the construction details.  I do know that at least one
of the Habitat for Humanity units is an upper floor loft apartment with
hardwood floors (donated) so the remainder of the construction details
could have not been terribly more expensive than typical floor
construction.  Some of these upper units also have ceramic tile in their
kitchens.

-- Jim