Re: Using carpeting as soundproofing in private units
From: Eris Weaver (eriswsonic.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:29:22 -0700 (PDT)
Our upstairs neighbors have a variety of hard floors, which they installed
after move-in; their original floor was mostly carpet. There is NO
difference whatsoever in the amount of sound we hear from walking around.

We get very little noise from above. The second story has a thin concrete
floor with embedded hydronic heating and good insulation. The main source
of noise from our upstairs neighbors is when they walk up and down the
stairs!

I'd be leary of writing flooring limitations into CC&Rs. Better to design
things to be soundproof regardless of flooring.

Eris Weaver
erisw [at] sonic.net

Frogsong, Cotati, CA