Re: Using carpeting as soundproofing in private units
From: Norm Gauss (normangauss11comcast.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
The important principle is not how much sound is reflected (hard surface vs.
soft surface) but how much is transmitted through the floor.  If carpeting
has sound-insulating material under it, then it will improve the
sound-transmission problem.  Otherwise, there will probably be little
difference.

When laying down a laminate floor (e.g., Pergo), there is a requirement in
most building codes that a special sound-absorbing underlayer be applied
before the laminate goes down.  It is design to minimize the clicking sound
that laminate flooring emits when walked on.

We just had laminate flooring installed in our new home, and we were told
that, if separate residences existed below ours, then we must install the
special underlayer.
The Quick-Step website explains this http://www.quick-step.com/

Norm Gauss
Oak Creek Commons