RE: Vacancy management & turnover rates
From: Chapel, Thomas (TKC4CDC.GOV)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
Lake Claire Cohousing in Atlanta is small--13 households.  Since move in in
March 1997 we've had the following departures:  1 in 1998, 1 in 1999, 2 in
2001, 1 current vacancy.  So almost 1 per year.  In most cases the moves were
due to life and job changes and not dissatisfaction with the community, so
think it's right to say coho is "stable" housing format--if Americans weren't
so transient.  Fortunately--until this current one--we filled the vacancies
very quickly.  Because (1) we had someone in the "wings" from a quasi-waiting
list/associate member list that we could draw  and (2)  one of our householders
is a real estate agent who put in lots of time and effort to facilitate the
sale.   For some reason the current unit has been on the market longer than in
the past, probably because we have not been aggressive about getting and
maintaining a waiting list of interested folks.  And in addition, if the stars
converge in the wrong way (for the community not the individual households),
life changes and job changes may cause a few more units to go on the market.
So we are just now talking about being intentional about getting a  waiting
list going.