Special Assessment to complete Common House
From: LOU & Joan BURRELL (bljoanmsn.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:41:54 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Joani for your ideas.  I think we're heading in the direction you
recommend, I.e. a smaller assessment now and the rest to be borrowed from a
bank or member and paid over time through monthly dues.  Unfortunately, some in
our community have strong feelings about the contractor we chose last year and
think his costs are out of line.  As a result, they have emotionally charged
reasons for not wanting to come up with the assessment. Sort of an "I told you
so" mentality. But whether or not we made a mistake back then, the building is
up, it's beautiful and we need to figure out how to pay for it.

We've also discussed borrowing at least some from our reserve fund, however the
available amount won't come near to the required amount .

Any ideas about using sweat equity would also be welcome.  It's one thing for
people to say, "Sure, I think we should do sweat equity" and another to arrange
a system where ALL MEMBERS will come forward and give their time, energy and
skills to complete the project.

We DO subscribe to Coho/US and it gets forwarded to all in our community.
Fantastic work by all of you!

Joan Burrell
Manzanita Village Cohousing
Prescott AZ