CH kitchen equipment / design
From: Greg Smith (ygrecmac.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:18:10 -0700 (PDT)
Jamaica Plain Cohousing is well into construction of our 30 units and we are planning out our CH kitchen needs. I've been looking at all of the postings for kitchen equipment (thank you Diane Simpson for collecting most!) and would like some confirmation / affirmation / updated information on my notes:

1. Dishwasher:
An under counter commercial with a preheat system. We will need space for heat booster next to dishwasher.
Some models can recycle the water.  Is this important?
Any comments on a counter-height commercial dish washer?
Get 4 trays -2 glass/plate, 2 silverware, etc.

2. Dish washing sinks:
Definitely get a double-deep sink with a wide basin for big things. A spray nozzle is very handy. It is recommended to get a sink with a countertop that can hold wet/dirty dishes and a lot of water (from the spraying and the trays). This can be an integrated stainless steel sink/counter from a restaurant supply company (used).

3. Cooking range:
Stick with a residential model to avoid expensive hoods and fire suppression systems required by building officials. An electric convection oven w/ gas burners is preferred for control of temperature. We will probably need two 30" units.
A broiler is not used often and not needed.
Will the burners be hot/large enough to boil water / cook a big pot o'chili? Are there separate high-powered burners that can be counter-mounted?
How useful are stacked ovens? - any concerns raised regarding ADA?
3a. Hood:
A high powered residential one is preferred for above reasons. Avoid a noisy one as it will not be used as often.

4. Refrigerator:
A single large residential (22 cubic feet) is enough for the average community. The freezer-on-the-bottom kind is good. If the kitchen committee is well-tuned, leftovers will be hard-to-find and unmarked tin foil blobs will be extinct.

5. Prep area:
A large separate prep area with a lowered counter height for kids / sitting / wheel chair accessibility. We plan on having a sink here for food washing. A butcher-block island is great with storage underneath for tools, etc.

6. General:
No cabinet doors. Well-marked storage containers and drawers are preferred. We have linoleum floors which are preferred to ceramic tile for cleanliness and comfort.
A large pantry.

Anyone lock away expensive small things? Knives, etc? Interested in loss/borrow/theft and safety with kids.

What did I forget?
Thanks all, and happy cooking.

greg smith  .  jamaica plain cohousing