Apartment style cohousing [was: Cohousing in L.A. ??
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Chris ScottHanson wrote:

> This might be an interesting site for cohousing in LA.
>
> Cut and paste this URL into your webbrowser for details:
> http://marketing.cbre.com/losangeles/urb_redev/gerry/gerry.html
>
> Anyone interested, or know anyone who might be interested?
>
> Chris ScottHanson

Hi Chris,

In the US the dominant form of cohousing has 1- 4 units per building with
each unit having a door that opens onto the outdoor common street or
courtyard.  Is the term townhouses appropriate here? Of course there are
a few alternate forms and variations.

>From my limited familiarity, it is my impression that in Sweden it is much
more common for cohousing communities ("Kollektivhus" - collective
housing) to more resemble apartment buildings with apartments on several
upper floors and the common space on the first floor.

For locations where land availability is restricted this form can work.
Chris, I presume something like this is what you had in mind when you
pointed out the LA building.

One very specific thing that would be helpful would be some terms to
describe the alternatives. Townhouse vs apartment style?  Unfortuntely it
is harder to get an image of apartment style cohousing.  One image I offer
is of Bo-90 in Copenhagen which has connected decks on each residential
floor as see in the image at:
http://home.worldonline.dk/bo90/home/bo90.htm

Anyone care to comment on the relative merits and disadvantages?  Folks on
the list who live in such places?  Cambridige Cohousing is a hybrid that
includes a big building with elevators and some townhouses which seems
like a nice compromise.

In the US the popularity of the single family house probably makes it
inevitable that most cohousing groups will opt for designs with closer
connection to the outdoors and having a little land around units.  But I
think it would be useful for us to be more aware of and consider alternate
forms where appropriate.

Fred

Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)