CH Kitchen
From: HeidiNYS (HeidiNYSaol.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:38:03 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Greg,

Are you giving your plan or asking for input?
We've been here seven years.   Done some things well, some some of us'd
change.
One excellent piece of advice we were given was to get a commercial fridge.
Ours is in fact a bit bigger than we need [started with 12 households, will
be at 18 soon.]   Separate freezer.   Our freezer has routinely been used for
very very few things; ice cream and bread, primarily.
That was one thing we did right.

Our stive has four burners, sometimes we could use six.
Periodically we wish we had a second oven, something I think you're planning.
dishwasher.   We've spent lots of time on this.   We started with a used
commercial one.   Often it did not get stuff clean in one pass.   Means
carrying a
rack of often heavy and hot items... in our case, across the room.   We now
have a new commercial one.   Someone in the group recently asked, informally
why we didn't just get two homestyle ones.   I have to agree.   For a number of
reasons.   Ecologically/environmentally, homestyle dishwashers win:
Consumers Reports says not to pre-rinse.   For the commercial one, each dish is
pre-rinsed.   Wasting serious amounts of water.
It also means schlepping heavy trays of dishes, so not everyone is willing to
use it. Our orginal was counter height, this one is below... either way,
trays are heavy! In fact, the dishwasher was used tonight, but it's used...
less
than half the time would be a fair estimate.   Would strongly recommend
reading CU reviews and going for the best homestyle.   It'll save you a
couple of thousand dollars...   While the comradery of clean up can be a
delight.... that's when there're enough folks to stick around and help....
With a
homestyle, you load and leave.. or hang out.   According to the report, they
are
now incredibly quiet.

Happy cooking!
Ruth Hirsch, Cantines Island, Saugerties,NY

In a message dated 8/18/04 11:38:42 AM, cohousing-l-request@cohou