Re: CH kitchen, esp dishwashing set up
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:10:24 -0700 (PDT)
Our experience at RoseWind (Port Townsend WA) has been different from
that of a recent poster, who recommended a commercial fridge and
residential dishwashers.

We heard how loud many commericial fridges were (and heard of communities
where they had to turn it off during meetings) and chose an in-between
model. It's like a large residential fridge (confusingly, the brand name
seems to be "Commercial"?), no freezer. About the size of a larger home
fridge, but with only basic shelves. It gets used on meal preparation
days, but in between has mainly condiments and oils in it. We make all
the leftovers go away at the end of each meal (mostly take-home in yogurt
tubs we stash in a dining room drawer for the purpose). Our separate
freezer in the pantry is used for bulk-purchased organic frozen corn,
butter, cornmeal, ice cream, garden rhubarb, coffee.

Our stove is a Dacor, with 6 burners - all flat so very large pans work.
Has griddle add-on. Non commercial, but not regular residential either.
Our convection oven is separate and used regularly. There is room for 3-4
racks in it, so it has been adequate.

We are very happy with our counter-top commercial dishwasher. The layout
is such that the dishwasher itself is in a corner, with tray sliding in
one side and out the other, at a right angle. A stainless steel spray
sink precedes the DW, but we've found the pre-rinsing can use very little
water. First people use a good silicone spatula to scrape their plate
into the compost bin, then they drop their silverware into one small
dishpan of soapy water, and set the scraped dishes on the counter by the
spray sink. (The empty plastic trays stack in an open storage space right
below that counter. Empty, they are light.) A second dishpan of soapy
water, and a dish brush, are plenty to "rinse" each dish as it's loaded
into the tray that is sitting over the spray sink. Usually for a big
meal, the rinse water is only changed once or twice. Using the dish brush
instead of the spray also keeps the dishwashing people MUCH dryer! Ditto
for the floor. Tray is loaded, slides in, gets blasted with the
soapy/then rinse water, tray slides out onto steel counter (which has
room for two trays to be air drying). Our dishes are Corelle, which is
lightweight, durable, and dries very fast. They are kept on a rolling
Rubbermaid cart which is at the beginning of the serving line at meal
time, then is rolled into the washed-dish area at clean  up. A quick
whisk with a clean dish towel (a set of white ones reserved for dishes
only) and the hot clean dishes are unloaded onto the serving cart. Zero
carrying of trays of dishes. Glasses and cups are done last, and left to
air dry. Silver can be done in a big flat tray, but some of us prefer to
do it in little stand up baskets (from household drainers) which can be
crammed into the plate-rack trays, so no water pools in the spoons.

Just beyond the area where the clean dishes exit, we have more stainless
restaurant gear: a counter and 3-part pot sink, where pots etc are washed
and left to drain.

On the other side of the kitchen we have a regular residential type
double sink. Used in prep, and during clean up for fragile wine glasses
and miscellaneous items such as food processor parts, measuring spoons,
blender parts, last dishes that missed the last DW load. These go into a
normal drainer rack.

A lot depends on the layout of your work areas. We had excellent advice
from architect Mary Kraus, and the traffic flow works really well. I
think there are some shots of our kitchen on the website
(www.rosewind.org).

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com