Re: Re: CH kitchen, esp dishwashing set up
From: kaiann (kaiannsonic.net)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:16:26 -0700 (PDT)
We are in the contruction part of Yulupa CoHousing (Santa Rosa CA), and have
done some research on dishwashers.  I think (without the actual experience
of actually cleaning in our common house kitchen) whether you get a
commerical DW or two good residential DW's depends on how many people you
have/anticipate for your meals.
We spent time at appliance stores counting plate slots in residential
dishwashers and finally decided that it wouldn't work well, because even
with 2 residential DW's, we'd likely have to do more than 2 loads of dishes
to get everything done (excluding pots, pans).  As residential DW's have
long cycle times (90-120+ minutes), it would mean waiting around or coming
back to load the third load--just didn't seem efficient.  We also talked to
our "neighboring" cohousing in Cotati CA, and they HIGHLY recommended a
commercial dishwasher.  They have about 30 units and I think at least 40
people eating meals together.  If you do go residential, we were impressed
with BOSCH models for # plates they could hold, water conservation, and
quiet use.
As for refrigerators, it again seems like it depends on how often you're
having group meals.  Someone else commented on having 4 meals/wk together--I
could see how you might run out of room with one residential Frig with
back-to-back meals.  We've opted for an Amana frig with refrig on TOP and
freezer on bottom, because of wanting to have full size shelves for large
mixing/serving bowls, rather than a side by side frig/freezer type with
narrow width shelves.  Who know if this will be adequate--I guess that we
could always buy another frig if needed.  As for noise, our frig will be
located in our pantry--pluses and minuses to this.  The refrigerator is the
highest energy consumer in the kitchen--I don't know if commercial models
are made to be more energy efficient, another issue that we considered.

Kai Gelphman