Re: per household vs per person
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 09:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
>Has anyone dealt with the question of whether a single-person household
>should be considered the same as a couple household (with or without kids)
>re:
>- Work requirements
>- Participation in a committee
>- Common costs (common house, infrastructure, land)
>- Maintenance fee
>- contributing to cost of optional workshops or professionals like
>facilitators
At RoseWind Cohousing (Port Townsend WA) assessments are per household;
our original buy-in price was per lot, thus also per household.

We have no work requirements, but our work expectations are generally
about individuals. Often couples end up doing different forms of
participation: one person may do meetings, the other, hands-on work party
stuff, for example. And we know that many factors figure into how much
participation a person can do, including family obligations of all sorts,
including watching kids.

The one place where it was an issue, many years ago, was when we were
determining the relative prices of our lots and decided to factor in a
token "pioneer discount" of a thousand dollars lot-price reduction per
year of participation (we are self developed and had put in thousands of
hours in the first years). Most families were fine at the per-household
basis, but one family wanted double, arguing that she had watched the
kids so he could do the meetings. As a single mom who had met all day
Saturdays, then watched someone else's kid all day Sundays in childcare
exchange, this didn't seem valid. I believe we made at most a small
compromise for that couple. Our pioneer discount remained based on
household.