Re: children's playrooms
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:28:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 23, 2004, at 12:42 PM, Elaine wrote:

I think our community has smartly planned, good playrooms. We have a very small room with no door and a soft floor just off the dining room. That's for the very young children -- like 3 and under. Parents can eat or sit in a
meeting while their toddlers play. If it were in more full view of the
dining room it would be even better.

This is what we have -- I forgot to mention that we have a big window that makes it very nice. We can always see in. We recently changed the orientation of our meetings, but before that the kids would stand in the window and make faces at us. We sometimes had to cover it because the babies would see their parents and want to be with them instead of the care givers. A blind that is high enough that they can't reach it that can be pulled down when necessary would be good.

Then we have a larger room further away and with a door, which is good since it gets quite noisy. It is the rec room, or "wreck room" as one child calls
it.

A "wreck room" is also what we need -- even the adults. Not necessarily because anything would be wrecked but just a place where no one has to worry that someone MIGHT be wrecking something.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC