Re: children's playrooms
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hi -

I've lived in one cohousing neighborhood (Eno Commons in Durham, North
Carolina, 22 units) and am now part of Eastern Village Cohousing in Silver
Spring,
Maryland, 56 units.

In Eno Commons, we planned one generic children's playroom before we knew how
many kids would be in the neighborhood - I think there were 5 or 6 kids under
7 years old in the group at the time of the design work.  By the time we
moved in, Eno Commons had more than 20 kids under 10 years old. I think the
neighborhood has even more kids now, but the age range is broadening out as the
original kids approach their teen years and new kids join the community. The
furnishings of the kids room went through phases, but minimal furnishing
resulted
in the least destruction.  Besides, the kids wanted to play with each other
more than they wanted stuff.

We had several play areas outside, suitable for various ages and many of the
adults encouraged the kids to play outside whenever the weather permitted
(rain and high heat are both issues in the South).  Not long ago, the group
reprogrammed the common spaces, turning the previous meditation room (which has
carpeting up the walls) into the toddler room, the previous kids room into more
of
a living room, and the previous living room into a kind of low-rent living
room suitable for pre-teen hanging out.  Last I heard, the group is also
planning to add a treehouse and maybe improve the meadow for safer use as a
playing
field.

In Eastern Village, we have far fewer children - we're nearly sold out and
about 10 of the 56 households have a kid or two and the age range is newborn to
16+ years old.  We programmed a kids room that seems to be heading for
under-10 use.  We have a toddler area in the courtyard, a playlot on the roof,
and a
good-sized game room (to include a pool or ping pong table).  There are also
school yards and a national park not too far away for older kids.

Still, the kids will find their own ways to enjoy the spaces.  They always
do.  I'm pretty sure my two plan to practice their jujitsu in the great hall
and
my teenager will definitely want to check the boundaries for use of the guest
rooms. . .

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
Where we are just over a month from completion of construction! Oh, the
bittersweet joys of moving.