Re: Decision making equity members and exploring members
From: Gary Kent (garykentuniserve.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:38:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all:

Regarding non equity member participation in decision making.

Even though exploring (or in our case 'associate' members) cannot block
consensus anyone fully participating in meetings and discussions has the
power of influence.

I think it is good to be aware and perhaps put limits on the influence that
associate members have.

I have seen associate members 'fully' participate in design meetings to the
point where they sway the group in favour of a certain decision with their
reasoned argument (let's say to add a night sky watching tower, that
accommodate their telescope, to the common house).  The designs are drawn
up, the contract to build is let, the site excavated and then the would be
astronomer decides that cohousing is not for them after all!  This is a
fictional scenario, however I saw similar influence happen in our group
around 'green' features and covenants on the land.

Regards,
Stacia Leech
Roberts Creek Cohousing, B.C. Canada, where eleven families are in and the
rest of the thirty one are under construction.