Re: Co-housing as part of a larger development?
From: Chris ScottHanson (chriscohousingresources.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
Dorian,

A number of existing cohousing projects are part of larger projects, including of course the first cohousing project in the US. We are looking at other opportunities currently, to do the same thing.

Caution is urged however in establishing a relationship, either as a buyer of housing product, or as some sort of partner with the developer of the larger project. Their agenda is necessarily very different from your own, and their attitude and approach will likely be less than warm and fuzzy.

Remember, the vast majority of developers do not wish to talk to their buyers until they have product to sell them. Prior to having product to sell, they generally consider the "potential buyer" as meddlesome, and difficult to deal with.

Good luck in your negotiations. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Chris ScottHanson