Re: Questions about co-housing from a new list member
From: Caren Albercook (calbercookyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:21:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Laura,
    I live in a 40 unit 60 person cohousing community
in the midwest.  We are 6 years old and have, I'm
told, the expected amount of turnover: roughly 25%
over 5 years.  Approximately a quarter of our families
have youngish kids and about half of those families
home school.
  So....I've watched people come and go.  I've watched
people move through the first flush of the dream to
the disappointment that its not how they hoped, to
acceptance and even revelry in our juicy, fractious
diversity.
   In my opinion, it works the best if you are NOT
certain you know the right way to handle any problem.
It also works best if you are not trying to get away
from some particular aspect of society.  Be assured,
you will meet in up front, personal technicolor the
behavior/attitude/values you have the most difficulty
with. And in my community, at least, we are expected
to engage that person, not retreat from and vilify
them.  That is community's most precious gift and its
greatest frustration.  But Laura, it's the greatest
adventure I've ever undertaken, and I'm glad I did.
Caren