Re: Majority Rule
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:22:47 -0700 (PDT)
Our condo docs (and our old development docs) have a fallback to voting if the group agrees that consensus has not worked yet & there is time pressure. We've used voting a couple of times: on one key development decision that had the group tied up, and on deciding our road name (we agreed ahead of time to use a voting process for that one).

We were in development for 5 years or so, and have been living here for 8 or 9 years. We haven't used the voting fallback since we moved in - no time-pressured decisions - on tricky decisions without a clear group agreement, we often end up agreeing on 'trying out' a specific course of action for a specified period of time. And we've also pushed a lot of our decisions to committees.

-Jim, from New View cohousing, Acton MA.

mikearnott [at] juno.com wrote:

Do any cohousing communities use "majority rule" for at least some
decision making?  I am particularly interested in the experience of such
cohousing communities that have been up and running for at least a year
or two.

Michael Arnott
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA