Re: Majority Rule
From: Dale Grover (dgroverredcedar.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
We are set up as a condominium, as this was more financially realistic for us vs. a cooperative. As a condominium, we are subject to both corporate and condominium laws for Michigan. These require voting as a decision-making process for certain decisions. Our bylaws describe our decison-making process as using consensus unless we 1) get in a bind, or 2) are required by law. We spent a bit of time making sure our legal documents were in reasonable agreement with a sustainable governance policy.

During some aspects of development, outside facilitators did use voting for some design decisions, as I recall. (While it meant we got done more or less on time, it was not always without ruffling feathers.) I don't believe we've had to fall back on a vote so far. I believe the perception is that this would be a high price to pay for resolution.

2-1/2 yrs development, 1 year on site.

--Dale Grover, Great Oak Cohousing, Ann Arbor MI