Survey on Maintaining the Commons
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:59:28 -0700 (PDT)
Patricia McBroom, Pleasant Hill Cohousing, <patricia [at] phch.org>
is the author of the message below.

Please be careful to reply to her rather than to the list or to Fred.

TO THE COHOUSING COMMUNITY,

        We are seeking information regarding the management and maintenance of
common property.
        In our third year of residence, we at Pleasant Hill Cohousing in
California have discovered a need to know more about the legal and
financial aspects of running a condominium than we anticipated.  We are
in the process of learning about such things as insurance liability,
workers compensation, fiduciary responsibility and a host of
maintenance issues, including the question: who is responsible for
repairing the plumbing inside unit walls, the owner or the home owners?
association?
        As  a cohousing community, we differ from a normal condominium, so we
cannot rely only on traditional condo experience for learning about
these issues.  Thus, we are surveying other cohousing communities for
their experiences and decisions. With your answers to the seven
questions listed below and those of other cohousing communities, we
will create a data base for running a cohousing-type of condominium
which we will be glad to share.
        Send your replies by email to <patricia [at] phch.org> or, by paper, to
the
address given below, and thank you very much for your help. Be sure to
include your name, telephone number and E-mail address so we can share
our results with you.

        Patricia McBroom
        Pleasant Hill Cohousing
        2200 Lisa Lane
        Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
        Telephone: 925-686-6806

MAINTAINING THE COMMONS - A SURVEY

Name of Respondent_____________
Cohousing Community____________
City or state of community___________
Telephone number_____________
E-mail address________________

1.  For maintenance and/or repair work, please indicate the practice
your community follows by checking the appropriate lines.  In addition
to volunteer work, does your community:
        ___pay one or more community members to repair or maintain common
areas?
        ___hire a handyman  from within the community to do repairs on common
property?
        ___hire members for maintenance work that does not include repairs?
        ___hire only from outside sources for repair and maintenance?
        ___require that all paid repair people who work on common property be
licensed?
        ___require that all paid repair people  who work on common property
carry insurance?
        ___have workmen?s compensation insurance?
        ___have workmen?s compensation that you believe covers volunteer
workers?
        ___pay any members of the community for work other than repair and
maintenance?
                If so, what kinds of paid work other than repairs?

2.  If you use paid residents for maintenance work, have there been any
significant problems as a result?  If yes, please give brief
description.
        ___yes
        ___no

3.  Has your community ever sought professional legal advice, not
including the initial formation of your organization prior to move-in?
If yes, why?  Was the information useful?
        ___yes
        ___no
        ___useful
        ___not useful

4.  Who is responsible for repairing leaks and maintaining plumbing
installed in the nonparty walls of  individual units:
        ___ the residents
        ___ the home owner?s association?

5.  Have members of your community had different interpretations of
your CC&Rs or governing documents?  How was the difference resolved?
        ___by getting legal advice
        ___by getting other professional consultation
        ___by rewriting the CC&Rs
        ___by other means

6.  Do you conduct a reserve study every few years?
        ___yes
        ___no

7. Are  you fully funded to the reserve study?s recommendations?
        ___yes
        ___no