Re: RE: committee effectiveness
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:18:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 21, 2004, at 8:53 AM, Douglas G. Larson wrote:

One key ingredient to running effective meetings is creating a useful
agenda and then sticking to it. I have written a short article about
running meetings and creating agendas.

A very nice summary of good things to do. I would add that meetings are also times when people like to sit and talk about whatever is on their minds. Unfortunately, this can divert the business of the meeting and not everyone wants to hear it. But is also a most important function of meetings.

One of our teams handles this very effectively by dividing their meetings into Business and None of your business. Any digressions or off-topic discussions are added to the Non of your business section. If people have to leave after the business, they do; otherwise they then have a good gab session on all the off topic issues that everyone really wants to talk about and no feels "cut off" or "stifled" during the meeting.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC