Re: Re: committee effectiveness
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:21:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 20, 2004, at 10:54 PM, Lynn Nadeau wrote:

portrayed as an issue of trust - can't we just trust the committee to
make decisions we'll all support? A reality check kicks in: sometimes
committees and task forces lose members and end up with 1-3 people on the team. Can such low numbers really represent 24 families accurately? Maybe
more significantly, different sorts of people volunteer for different
committees.

This is very true. The people who volunteer to be on the communications team that makes decisions about the online calendar, email services, and web access, for example, is peopled by people who like to do all those things. Accepting their decisions about which online calendar is "easiest" to use, not too complicated for members, would not be wise. At one point our facilities team was populated by spreadsheet people. If you were not the type of person who was comfortable looking at all tasks reduced to a spreadsheet, you would not join that team. Likewise, our community team is populated with people who are very interested in meals and encouraging people to get involved in community activities. They are less interested in confronting problems in budgets or members who do not want to be involved in doing community work.

The value of having a whole community is the balance the whole community, or a large part of it, brings to decisions.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC