Merlin Porter-Borden died [was: Sad news from...
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Martie Weatherly wrote:

> To our cohousing friends in the region and across the country:
>
> I am sorry to have to let you know that our founder and close friend,
> Merlin Porter-Borden died suddenly on Thursday Sept 16. There will be a
> service celebrating his life at 2pm on Wed Sept 29 at the Lynfield Event
> Complex on Rt 15 north of Frederick. We will have a potluck supper here
> at Liberty Village after the service, probably around 5pm.
>
> In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that contributions be made to
> Liberty Village for the construction of a Common House. Directions to
> Lynfield and mailing address for memorial contributions are below.
>
> Merlin leaves a huge hole in our community and will be sorely missed.
> Last night about 30 of us sat together and shared his impact on us and
> our remembrances. We are here because of him, and we are not just a
> community but are family. He poured his heart and soul into cohousing.
> He was always passing on information from the cohousing listserve,
> jostling the county, asking about our health and pressing us to move on.
> Typically of Merlin, he had just finished fixing something for his
> neighbor when he died.
>
> Someone read a poem that we thought was Merlin: that he is not
> presenting himself to the pearly gates but sliding in sideways saying
> "That was a helluva ride!"
>
> In peace,
> Martie
> (301)898-7654 or (301)538-6811 (cell)
> martiew [at] earthlink.net
>
> Mailing address for memorial contributions:
> Liberty Village Community Association
> 9137 Liberty Village Way
> Union Bridge MD 21791

I'm sure many cohousing folks would like to extend sympathy to the folks
at Liberty Village. Merlin had subscribed to cohousing-L since at least
1995 and had posted about 40 messages. (You can find them in the archives
(via link at bottom of this message) by searching for 'Merlin' .

When I browsed thru them a couple jumped out.  One assuring a
member who'd been criticized for her posting style that he always read her
posts.  Another was actually from his then 13 year old daughter proposing
that youth in cohousing communicate over the net.

I believe people live after death in the memory of those who knew them
and in the words and deeds they leave behind.  If you can't make it to the
memorial, you may want to browse Merlin's words in the archives.

Fred

Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)