A couple of condo-doc questions
From: David Heimann (heimannworld.std.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:37:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,

        Here are a couple of condo-doc questions:

        1) In order to preserve the character of our community, we would
like to make sure that any would-be buyer understands what life is like in
our cohousing community.  Presumably the condo docs would be a good place
to guarantee that this happens, by specifying that before a unit can be
sold the potential buyer must be informed by a person designated by the
Board about the community and must sign a statement that they have been so
informed and they understand what was said.  Do communities have such a
provision in their documents?  If so, has it helped in having buyers of
resale units be cohousing-friendly?

        2) We are being encouraged to have binding arbitration in our
bylaws as the ultimate means of settling disputes (after negotiation,
conflict resolution, and mediation).  What has been your experience with
binding arbitration if you have such a provision yourselves?  How does
this affect the balance of power between the homeowners' association and
an individual unit owner, and can this balance be adjusted by appropriate
language in the bylaws?

        Thanks again for any information.  We're only months away now!

Regards,
David Heimann
JP Cohousing