Book publishers, who needs 'em?
From: Kevin Wolf (kjwolfdcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
Graham
Congratulations on having the book ready for publication. I'd like to help you get it published. I don't know how many books it takes to make self publishing possible. 5000? With the right cover and binding they could retail for $15+. What would wholesale be, $10 each? And what does it cost to print 5000 copies - $7 each? If so, the publisher would need around $35,000. So how else besides going through a publisher can this capital be raised?

I think you should put your a sampler of your book on the web as soon as possible and start taking promises to buy the book when it is publlshed. Begin to more widely seek support. Soon after the book is published, put the whole book on line, section by section, photo by photo and allow the worlds' cohousing and researchers' websites to link to everything in it. Make it easy to search for people and photos. Put in a great index over time. You could require/request links to your photos and and not placement of your photos into their websites. The more links there are to your website, the higher up in the google searches your site returns. "Cohousing" searches would end up finding your book and a percentage of the visitors will buy the book. Over time you would definitely generate sales because lots of people like curling up with a book, putting a book into their library, sharing it with others, etc. It seems reasonable that 500 per year would sell in the US for at least the next 5 years. Books with great photos have longer shelf life

Have you asked any non-profits to be the publisher? They could do much of the above for you and take donations that are tax deductible to help.

You could also do this as a business and seek investors via your friends (like Linda and me), through the website etc. There is not a lot of profit in a 5000 run. But hey, maybe it takes off and the second run is for 50,000. Now we are talking real money.

There are a lot of cohousing communities that have cash in the bank sitting around generating little interest income. It is not impossible imagining 5-10 of them lending a nonprofit or investing in business at $3-5000 each.

I also think you should make this book as error free as possible. Ken Norwoods "Rebuilding Community" had so many errors in the N Street sections that we didn't encourage people to buy it. It also had too many typos and errors throughout. I am sure a few in each community in the book would be glad to give their section a final review. We would then be proud to sell it. Hey, we're in a book!

Good luck on this.

Kevin