Re: kitchen vent hood
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:01:45 -0700 (PDT)
>Our construction contract includes allowances for the vent hood ($2000) over
>the range, and for a fire suppression system ($2200) in the hood.  Our
>research indicates that these figures will just cover the costs of low end
>models that are designed for "commercial" use.  I wonder, though, if there
>aren't less expensive models (at least for the hood) that would suffice for
>our "semi-commercial" use.  Any suggestions?
At RoseWind we have a range that is technically non commercial. Therefore
we needed NO fire suppression system. Just a hood. I don't know what sort
of hood it is (though if pressed I could look it  up): it never needs
filters replaced, just washed.

The range is a Dacor with six propane burners spaced, and flush, so that
large pans can go on them. It has no problem heating big soup-pots of
stuff. It also has a grill overlay option. It works well for us. And we
saved the whole cost of fire suppression. We were told that a commercial
range would also raise our insurance, require special back-wall
insulation, and get hot enough to be more of a hazard in general.

A couple of photos of our very successful kitchen can be seen on our
website,
http://www.rosewind.org

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org