Re: Is building green, green or is it light gray
From: Duncan Cavens (duncancavens.org)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,

This is a very relevant question to my partner and I right now: our home in Roberts Creek Cohousing (near Vancouver, B.C.) will be finished at the end of the month. We've been trying to figure out the environmental benefits/costs about buying new energy efficient appliances vs. buying slightly used appliances. I've done a lot of searching, but have not been able to find any information other than factsheetsfrom Federal Energy authorities that seem to only promote the appliance manufacturers (i.e. "current appliances are twice as efficient as appliances from 10 years ago".)

While this information is useful, I'd like to know what the impacts are of manufacturing a new stove, shipping it halfway across the country, and what the impacts are of disposing/recycling of the old appliance that we wouldn't be buying on the second-hand market (we don't currently own any appliances.) My gut feeling is that the net impact of making a new appliance (fridge/stove/etc.) far outweigh the environmental benefits of a new appliance, but I have no way of figuring this out. Money isn't really the issue (although slightly used models run for about 1/4 to 1/8 the cost of new.)

Does anyone have any insight / resources/ etc. on this topic?
Duncan.
http://www.cohousing.ca/robertscreek