Re: reduce/re-use/re-cycle/ green-grey
From: HeidiNYS (HeidiNYSaol.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
> Dear Duncan,
> you've framed a very important question, one too often missed, so thanks.
I'm looking forward to seeing responses to this one too!    I will mention
that when we did our research for appliances for CommonHouse, we were advised
get a new/newish fridge.   Technology has changed so that the older ones used
a coolant that's no longer acceptable [and this was seven years ago, so by
now may be a generation of used 'new' ones.]    Also, Consumer Reports may be
helpfulin which of the ones you find used are actually most energy/water
efficient.
Tangentially,   one of the huge environmental benefits of co-housing is
clustering the homes.   Here, we've got one parking area for example, rather
than
blacktopping 18 driveways.   Similar benefits to not having individual septics &
 wells.... all take their toll.    The preservation of earth in clustering
can get overlooked , and it's a big benefit!   Best,
Ruth Hirsch,   Cantines Island CoHo, Saugerties,NY