Re: Re: reduce/re-use/re-cycle/ green-grey
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:48:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Duncan,
I posted your question to a Green Building list I'm on.  I'll let you
know what responses I get.

Best,
Racheli.

Duncan Cavens wrote:
Hi everyone,

This is a very relevant question to my partner and I right now: our home
in Roberts Creek Cohousing (near Vancouver, B.C.) will be finished at
the end of the month.
We've been trying to figure out the environmental benefits/costs about
buying new energy efficient appliances vs. buying slightly used
appliances.  I've done a lot of searching, but have not been able to
find any information other than factsheetsfrom Federal Energy
authorities that seem to only promote the appliance manufacturers (i.e. "current appliances are twice as efficient as appliances from 10 years
ago".)

While this information is useful, I'd like to know what the impacts are
of manufacturing a new stove, shipping it halfway across the country,
and what the impacts are of disposing/recycling of the old appliance
that we wouldn't be buying on the second-hand market (we don't currently own any appliances.)    My gut feeling is that the net impact of making
a new appliance (fridge/stove/etc.) far outweigh the environmental
benefits of a new appliance, but I have no way of figuring this out.
Money isn't really the issue (although slightly used models run for
about 1/4 to  1/8 the cost of new.)

Does anyone have any insight / resources/ etc. on this topic?