Re: Insurance
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 06:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 13, 2004, at 9:13 AM, Joel Plotkin wrote:

Hello list,
I'm at Hundredfold Farm in Pennsylvania, where we're hoping to break ground this Spring. I've looked at the archives on insurance policies for common areas and found some useful information. We're structured as a condominium, with our tree farm as a separate corporation. Insurance agents we've spoken to have asked about comparable projects in our region, and how they've dealt with
common areas insurance.

I would suggest that the first thing you need to do is join the Community Associations Institute (CAI). They have a multitude of publications for condominiums and publish regular newsletters on things like this. The sooner you learn about the legal structures and obligations of condominiums, the sooner you will be able to get a handle on what you need. Each situation is different so you need to look at what is available and see if it fits you.

The sooner you do this the happier you will be. It has taken us 4 years to understand fully that we are a condominium and that there are tons of resources out there for condominiums and very little for cohousing. All that underlying financial and legal information will be most helpful to you.

I'm starting a newsletter on this subject that is more cohousing friendly in attitude but for the moment the CAI is your absolute best resource.

http://www.caionline.org/

Good luck,
Sharon
---
Sharon Villines, Editor & Publisher
Upcoming: Building Community: A Newsletter on Coops, Condos, Cohousing, and Other New Neighborhoods