Re: Fwd: the failure of cohousing in the united states
From: Saoirse (ccharisearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:01:02 -0800 (PST)
As a person in the mental health field, I would raise one question about the
practice of ignoring the ramblings of someone who appears bizarre. I can
think of a lot of examples where it was helpful to pay attention. It's all
contextual, of course. All I'm saying is that our first impulse is to brush
it off. That may be the best response at the time. But it may be that other
deeper understanding, when you have the time and energy. We usually don't
have the time. We have other things going on, and we need to take good care
of ourselves. I do wonder, though, what it would take to stand in the
position of just listening and wondering and being open to something
different. For five minutes, maybe.

In this country, we let our odd ducks go off and talk to themselves. In some
places, where community is a core value, the odd duck has a place within the
community. They are seen. They live with us and we find ways to be with
them.

Maybe that's an impossible thing to imagine today. But I do wonder why we
are surprised when people "go postal" in the midst of a so-called normal
existence.

I am not saying we should accept disturbed people in our communities or on
our listserv. But after this election, I am really trying to absorb how it
is with us, how and why we are so divided, and so committed to our often
black-an-white convictions.

Saoirse

--
Harmony Village Cohousing