RE: Regarding Affordability (and rental space)
From: John Imbur (john_imburhotmail.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:44:03 -0800 (PST)
Carol wrote:
> Very helpful, John. It's why I was attracted to getting involved with
> cohousing folks (and cohousing wannabes).
>
> I hope the statement that there are plenty of rental options is actually
> going on out there, and not only unrealised potential.

Not to belabor the thread, but here is what I have seen... all I can speak
from is my own limited experience with Shadowlake Village (SLV) here in
Blacksburg, VA.  Hope this helps, Carol (and the rest of us reading this
thread).

While in SLV we have a restriction of only four "full unit" rentals (a
zoning restriction we hope to get lifted), there are several of us that have
basements (and in my case additional rooms) for let that don't count against
this restriction.  And I am aware that some of them, like my own, are below
market value for reasons I described in my earlier e-mail... personal
circumstances of tenants, the type of work/situation of the tenants, etc.
This can and has included for me a farmer's market manager, outdoor
educator, a single parent with two young children, a mental health
practitioner, and an Americorps volunteer.

Affordability is a big deal for me and I feel it important to put my money
where my mouth is... some of the people who most need co-housing can least
afford it... especially if the only access is to buy.  And for single people
like myself the only way to afford a house I could "grow" into if I have a
family is to rent some space out.  It isn't for everyone and I would be
careful planning such an arrangement to incorporate the appropriate division
of private space for yourself and your tenants, particularly if you have a
family.

Whether other communities have similar options, I don't know, but having had
great success with it for three years, if feasible it is something that
should be considered and, in my humble opinion, even encouraged.