Re: Affordable cohousing
From: Dave & Diane (cohotheworld.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:40:26 -0800 (PST)
We have a 4-bedroom/3 bath condominium that we hope will be purchased by two households or a communal house. I have contacted the law firm that that wrote the "Buying Property Jointly" worksheet excerpted below to obtain copies of their worksheet for our information kits.

We will continue to actively seek out potential housemates who would like to go in together on this unit and encourage them to attend our meetings and social events so they can get to know one another and the group. I think cohousing gives you a lot of opportunities to get away from your housemate or partner if you need a little "space" for awhile, and purchasing part of a unit such as this one makes it much more affordable for people who are just starting out.

--Diane Simpson
  Boston, MA

JP COHOUSING  617-524-6614
P.O. BOX 420 BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS
HTTP://WWW.JPCOHOUSING.ORG
"Buildings framed and only one unit left!"

Tips for buying real estate with a friend

*Get a "co-ownership" agreement - a detailed, legally binding plan for buying and living together - before you start looking. Plan for the worst: death or job loss. Plan for an exit strategy. Discuss details of common living such as who will park in the driveway, who will get the yard. *If you've bought a two-family, turn condo in a few years. This will help disentangle finances and protect your investment. *Know your partner well. Don't be lured into a "real estate blind date," buying a property with someone a real estate agent sets you up with. *Consider the "Frankenstein factor." "People who look reasonable up front may be total monsters to live with," said real estate attorney Joan Koffman. *Make sure you have the same values about spending money and paying bills on time. *Ask yourself these questions to know if you are the type who can share property: Are you comfortable sharing living space with others? Are you comfortable making decisions with others, rather than being the boss? Are you capable of maintaining a trusting, workable relationship based on mutual concern for the real estate?

Source: Attorneys Koffman & Dreyer, "Buying Property Jointly" worksheet.