The rugged individual
From: mark nichols (infothereallybig.com)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:04:26 -0800 (PST)
I ask the following questions from a curiosity about how notions of
privacy change as we begin to shed the skin of the rugged individual:

1) Do communities tend to veer away from traditional American values of
ownership as time goes on, or do they become more conscious of a need
for private space?  Do the private spaces become smaller and smaller.

2) Do private spaces become further away from each other or closer
together?

3) Are there any multiple building cohousing communities out there
challenging the nuclear family idea of individual space in ways other
than communal eating, i.e. a "sleeping room", or a "quiet building" or
"social building" or a community library/den? Are there shared spaces
that are "up all night" where night owls or early morning risers can be
social or do work in a public setting? Are there "kid buildings" or
"adult buildings" or "shared tool buildings (workshops)?"

I am new to this resource so please kick me into shape if my questions
are old hat or seem to "something or other...annoying" to you all.
Thanks for the responses.

Mark Nichols, Bainbridge Island, WA

Mark