Re: first meeting
From: Matt Lawrence (matttechnoronin.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:58:44 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, elke lerman wrote:

The Western Queens project will have it's first meeting Thursday!  I'm
excited!  Here's what I've got for an agenda so far.  Any suggestions
from experienced folks would be appreciated.

1. Introductions - Getting to know each other.

2. Priorities - What are people looking for - size, space,
neighborhood, relations with co-owners, costs, pets, kids/schools,
problemsolving agreements, etc.

I suggest you make lists of desires, wants and requirements.

3. Outreach - Do we want to do a mailing?  Are there other bulletin
boards to post on (So far I did FIC, Cohousing, Craigslist).

Sounds like a start. I wouldn't have thought of Craigslist, I'll have to remember that. The free local papers are also a good possibility.

4. sponsorship to renters

You're in New York which has some very different customs when it comes to rentals. Personally, I would favor keeping the community as a whole minimally involved and let investors within the community deal with the majority of the rental issues. This might not be the best approach for where you are, I'm fairly clueless about that area.

5.'vision statement'

I have yet to see a vision statement that really inspired me. I would be more interested in seeing solid goals.

6. screening process for future tenants

Lots of potential problems with the Fair Housing laws. Be careful and get the guidance of some highly trained professionals.

To quote a friend about building relationships: "Communicate, communicate, communicate". Personally, I'm very much in favor of having things written down and easily available. Having the documents online and easily modifiable (think "wiki") would work well for me. However, for those folks who don't get online, other forms of communication are important as well. I suggest that you work towards the maximum practical forms of communications.

-- Matt
Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_