Re: Disputes Committtee
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:36:52 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 7, 2004, at 12:25 PM, Eris Weaver wrote:

Conflict Prevention & Resolution Committee (known as CPR) to deal with conflicts.

This is wonderful! "CPR"

One method I've seen used very well to resolve conflicts is that rather than having a standing team, whenever a conflict arises, each person in the conflict chooses a spokesperson they trust and all the spokespersons together choose a person to moderate. Usually this means a three person team to resolve a specific conflict.

Doing it this way means that the team is always composed of people those in conflict trust and those chosen as spokespeople also have a person in the group chosen by them so they feel they have support as well.

As well anyone can call for conflict resolution. If I'm going nuts because Carl and Boris are arguing over the fence and can't work together, I can call for mediation and involve Carl and Boris.

This doesn't provide an ongoing function of prevention but it is a very good way to help resolve conflicts. Once a community understands this method it can also function fairly informally -- Can you talk to so and so for me.

The old adage "people should talk directly to each other" is an oxymoron -- when people can talk to each other, they do. When there is conflict, they can't or they would have already.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC