COMPENSATION FOR FOUNDERS' HARD WORK
From: Linda Gluck/Treehouse (treehousenetstep.net)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:00:38 -0800 (PST)
Hi-
As I'm sure many of you know, fhe first 2-3 years of forming a cohousing
community take mountains of administrative time and energy - finding land,
finding people, working w realtors, lawyers, planning boards, engineers,
architects, financial advisors, and banks as well as developing all
community documents, keeping all parties informed and keeping records of
everything. Our members are doing all this work.
    It seems inappropriate that residents who buy in in the 4th or 5th year
just pay for their unit and their part of what's held in common, and get the
benefit of all the founding work at no charge.
    Do other communities have a way of quantifying that founder
contribution, so that founders are compensated in some way - maybe in
discount on their unit?

thanks,
Linda Gluck
Ulster County Cohousing (in formation)