Re: COMPENSATION FOR FOUNDERS' HARD WORK
From: mark harfenist (markbellinghamcohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:31:22 -0800 (PST)
We (and other groups with which I'm familiar) built early buyer discounts into our price structure. We also paid interest on loans from members to our fledgling group. The combination was not enough to pay for all the time and energy invested, but it made a difference.

Discounts can be conceptualized as incentive for people who might otherwise remain on the sidelines to join up and commit, or as fair return on early (and therefore risky) investment in the project. We never discussed this in terms of directly rewarding those who worked hard in the early days, because to do so would likely lead to pointless discussions about who had put in how many hours, whose time was worth how much, etc.

It does seem essential that early joiners learn to get over the fact that late arrivals never had to work as long and hard as they did. People seem to have various ways to work this through to their own satisfaction. With the passing of years, much of it seems to even out anyway.

Hope that helps.

Mark
(Bellingham Cohousing)