Re: COMPENSATION FOR FOUNDERS' HARD WORK
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:44:15 -0800 (PST)
mark harfenist (Bellingham Cohousing) wrote, in part:

It does seem essential that early joiners learn to get over the fact that late arrivals never had to work as long and hard as they did. People seem to have various ways to work this through to their own satisfaction. With the passing of years, much of it seems to even out anyway.

Have to agree on the last one. Seems like some of us are better suited for the one-time project focus of the early stages of cohousing, and others come to the forefront when it's time to maintain this nexus of people & money & buildings & land after move-in. Not that there's anything wrong with it if a group can easily agree on some reward for the early work of the founders, but I don't think it's needed if it's not a clear decision. Exception: the higher interest described in some responses for early loans seems wise and workable for almost any group. We did that.

-Jim, New View cohousing, Acton MA...Where we are about to discuss a new proposal about community expectations for sanctions after illegal activities by minors. Many landmines be here!
--
Jim Snyder-Grant
18 Half Moon Hill