workers' comp insurance question
From: Sally Wright (shwrightsbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:50:25 -0800 (PST)
We would appreciate any information on the following problem.

Background: An attorney who specializes in HOAs has strongly recommended
that we get workers' comp insurance to cover our community members who
volunteer approximately three hours per month.  We are in the process of
obtaining this coverage.

Problem: We have been asked by the insurance carrier how many people are on
our payroll since the premium is based on this number. If we were to give
them the number of adults in our community, we'd have to pay for coverage
for all of them -- quite an expense!

Question: If you have workers' comp coverage for your volunteer community
members, how have you handled this?  Have there been any problems?

Any information would be appreciated, as soon as possible!

Sally Wright
Pleasant Hill Cohousing
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523

shwright [at] sbcglobal.net