"Christian Cohousing, " spiritual cohousing in general, and "Nutcases" (like me?)
From: CHRISTINE COE (CHRISTINECOE1MSN.COM)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:24:05 -0800 (PST)
Dear Cohousing List--

One of my favorite quotes is from Herb Caen, the late S.F. Chronicle columnist:
"The problem with
'born-again' Christians is when they're an even bigger pain the second time
around."  It serves as
a valuable lens and caution for my own efforts.

I have been a fan of cohousing for about twelve years, and immediately
recognized in this model
much good to address many factors which have led to the downfall of so many
idealistic intentional
communities.  I am part of a community which prides itself on connecting with
the cohousing model
in physical and social design principles.  And I'd like to set the record
straight on a couple of things
(as far as I am able) if I may.

An analogy: in a modern economy, so much of the machinations of government are
designed to
address what are apparently natural fluctuations between poles of prosperity
and hardship (the
Kondratieff Cycle), and regulate them into a stable model where constant effort
will produce more
constant rewards.  Similarly, much of what I find in cohousing seems to be an
attempt to provide a
relatively stable social environment capable of providing for a constellation
of needs which we humans
all possess, that must be addressed in order for us not to go "off the rails"
at times.  As with any
model of "regulation," it only serves well when it does not unnecessarily
stifle freedoms.

So I completely understand the natural aversion to the notion of "Christian
cohousing."  The question
remains, how much diversity can a community embrace and be cohesive long term?
Cohousing has
tried valiantly to expand that notion, but must be wary of being too
self-congratulatory (as of yet) of
having achieved it.  That siad, you'd be surprised at the diversity which flies
under the cohousing banner
already (see the article on Dorothy Day Cohousing referenced below).

I very much enjoy the community of this list and was heartsick at the recent
posting of a message by
an apparently "fellow Christian" who tried to "take cohousing to task" based on
poor analysis, faulty
assumptions, and what appeared to be a silver spoon attitude.  My attempt to
assess him off-list on
these problems yielded only one possible clue as to his inordinate anger (as
well as further confirmation
that he is in need of help).  His first inquiry (as an unsubscriber) was posted
on November 15th of this
year as a favor by the moderator, an innocuous request for housing advice in
the Santa Rosa, CA area,
after which he signed (for good or for ill) "in Christ" as an ending
salutation.  He alleged that what he
got in response was a floodgate of offlist return mail which was so unwelcoming
that he decided to
engage individual cohousers on a more aggressive footing (apparently believing
his tirade would never
get posted to the list, if submitted there).  Here are his words:

"I originally had a post simply asking for a rental opportunity, and I signed
that e-mail, "In Christ."  I
was bombarded with people from cohousing commuities around the country telling
me that CHRISTIANS
ARE NOT WELCOME IN COHOUSING, AND THAT CHRISTIAN VALUES ARE NOT WELCOME IN
COHOUSING."

What Stambler apparently didn't know is that the subsequent letters to him were
not posted on the
listserv, and so this "battle," if true, was fought purely in private, offlist,
without so many of the voices
which call for a more sane assessment of things from among cohousing veterans.
This would mean that
an already psychologically-unstable ("Head Prophet of the World?") person was
subjected to a harangue
"in the name of" cohousing, by being posted to the list with the "in Christ"
tag line.

I wonder if the same thing would have happened if it read, "For the earth!" or
"In the name of Allah,
blessed be He."  Of course, this is the nature of things when it comes to the
internet.  There's no
guarantee against it.  Unfortunately, there's also no way I can confirm his
allegations.  If true, the
promise he sees in this model would appear to him to have been hijacked by
those who would "fight"
against his "right" to learn from and use it.

So I am writing to 1) make you aware of the situation 2) remind the list that a
search of cohousing-list
archives on the subject of "Christian cohousing" --or, for that matter, "Jewish
cohousing" (Buddhist,
Islamic, Pagan, etc.) is hardly the welcoming foray that might be hoped for,
with so many cohousers
apparently offended at the very idea of combining physical, social  and
spiritual community in one package,
even with safeguards such as consensus voting in place 3) once again announce
(as per Allen Butcher's
uncharacteristically terse contribution) that "Christian cohousing" and other
forms of "spiritualized"
cohousing models are here to stay, and that no amount of wishing will make it
otherwise (there are even
forums for it-- www.msainfo.org<http://www.msainfo.org/>, e.g.), and 4) ask
that any listers out there who use the information
from this list to "do the cohousing movement a private favor" by haranguing
people offlist (just like
"Stambler" did, apparently in return) think twice about the glee they feel when
"the ref only sees the
second foul."

Every movement I've ever studied has elements in it which are noble and
uniting, as well as elements
which are potentially (and often in implementation) a compromise, or worse, of
those very elements.
Cohousing is no exception; neither is Christianity.  What draws so many who are
already in spiritual
communities together into the desire for residential community is the memory of
a past where it seemed
to work, and from which much positive good emerged.  In the Roman Empire,
pre-Constantine (when the
emperor seized the chance to consolidate Christian political power by making it
the official religion of the
Empire-- sound familiar?), Christians were actually derided because of their
work (and substantial
membership) among the poor and disenfranchised, which took place in the context
of stable Christian
communities.

While not as glaringly visible today, this work continues in, for example,
Catholic Worker Houses whose
street-level efforts have reduced misery in cities world-wide (see article on
Dorothy Day Cohousing
Community, at
http://www.thecommonspace.org/2003/01/communities.php<http://www.thecommonspace.org/2003/01/communities.php>);
 the L'Arche movement
which combines residential community with a mission to "mainstream" disabled
individuals into everyday
community life; the Taize communities which have effectively promoted
ecumenical unity across a wide
spectrum of sects; the Sojourners communities, outgrowths of a thirty-year-old
movement which works
to "connect progressive politics and Christian faith and attract a diverse
group of evangelical, Catholic,
and Protestant Christians, as well as others who are united on issues of
justice and peace"
(www.sojo.org<http://www.sojo.org/>);  and others (especially overseas, in
places like Australia).

Our own community, Bartimaeus, is admittedly less "radical" than these, but our
goal is to be effective
in similar ways (www.bartcommunity.org<http://www.bartcommunity.org/>).  The
broader truth that Christianity has been co-opted and
in peril ever since it first gained this cultural ascendency is more and more
widely recognized these days.
Jesus Himself said "My Kingdom is not of this world."  This is what led the
(very religious) Constitutional
Framers to ensure that church and state remained separate, while simultaneously
praying "Thy Kingdom
come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

In that light, its more accurate to speak of "cohousing among mainly
'Christians'," than "Christian
cohousing"  --no particular person or community can lay claim to being exactly
what Jesus would want.
It just remains a convenient term to describe the aspiration, like the word
"community" itself.

A lingering question as to the legality of a "Christian cohousing" (or Jewish,
Buddhist, or whatever)
community needs to be addressed.  There are certain limitations to the Fair
Housing Act which allow for
some forms of common-interest or otherwise configured privately-developed
housing to retain their
preferential religious orientation.  It is not within the purview of the Act to
mandate that any and every
form of housing everywhere be considered a public commodity for regulation
under Fair Housing purview until and
unless the houses go up for sale on the open market or use a real estate agent
in transferring ownership
rights.  Many private real estate developments remain outside the Act's
regulatory categories.

As distasteful an example as it is, this is why the Augusta Country Club in
Georgia can legally exclude
women from its Clubhouse, despite the perception of it being a public
commodity.  Legal rulings have
upheld this legal, if distasteful, practice.  Many private intentional
communities around the world
represented on the Intentional Communities listing
(www.ic.org<http://www.ic.org/>) are more examples of the same.

The goal of our community is not such "distasteful" (read: discriminatory,
hateful, "unclean") exclusion.
Our policies are inclusive of variety, within limits we agree upon mutually as
to the nature of the
community ethos we wish to set --mainly for our young, growing children.  They
will begin to encounter
and try to understand the wider world soon enough.  Just like a pagan parent
needs to take special pains
these days in raising a moral child, and wants to provide a nurturing
environment for them while they're
very young, so do we.  In fact, we share the same concerns -- a non-utilitarian
view of nature, and wish
them to learn to be appreciative and respectful of God's good creation.  We're
also painfully aware of the
wrongful subjugation of women in history to male domination, and align
ourselves with the aims to restore
things back to God's good created order as represented in the Bible and
explicated in the literature of
organizations like Christians for Biblical Equality
(www.cbeinternational.org<http://www.cbeinternational.org/>).

We wish to largely (but not necessarily exclusively) share a spiritual
tradition in common, so that our
efforts on building consensus do not focus around matters as mundane as whether
we can have a
Christmas tree in the common house, but focus more on service outreach.  For
that matter, we also
want to be able to celebrate Jewish festivals (like Jesus did) and reflect on
them within the perspective
of the common tradition we share.  Our goal will be to practice hospitality
towards those of diverse
perspectives.  A commitment to embracing diversity need not involve a
commitment to hide one's own
unique commitments, nor to stifle the desire for enough commonality on a day to
day basis from which
to engage and embrace diversity without feeling threatened by the amount and
pace of change which
those very encounters will allow us to ponder.

Respectful active listening takes time, as does reflection among valued and
trusted neighbors in framing
a response to the many challenges of postmodern life.  If we are ever to move
beyond mere tolerance
to a respectful appreciation and even, some hopeful partial integration of
views, there must be both
vehicles for change along with vehicles for stability.  The cohousing movement
as a whole has so many
of the answers for what our society needs, that I remain hopeful for its
future.  And, as a Christian, I
remain of the conviction that so does Jesus (infinitely more so)--regardless of
the confusing admixture
of the rest of the baggage of "Christianity."

Cheers!

Guy W. Coe
Bartimaeus Community, www.bartcommunity.org<http://www.bartcommunity.org/>
Bremerton, WA.
(Yes, this is also shameless promotion for potential new members... : )