Re: workers' comp insurance question
From: Jan (jansunward.org)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:25:25 -0800 (PST)
> Problem: We have been asked by the insurance carrier how many people are
on
> our payroll since the premium is based on this number

Maybe you could use full-time equivalents (FTE's).  This measure is used in
government contract research proposals, probably elsewhere too.  Forty
person-hours per week x 52 weeks/year could be a definition of one FTE.  I
am not sure what the official definition is; you could probably find it.
Anyway, by this definition, one FTE is 40 x 52 = 2080 person-hours.  Divide
the number of hours your workers put in and divide by 2080 to get the number
of FTE's you use.

This is just a suggestion.  I do not think we insure our volunteer workers,
although I have heard of non-profits who do.  I am sympathetic with anyone
who has to deal with insurance in cohousing.

Jan
Sunward
Ann Arbor, MI