age distribution, Berkeley cohousing, 2005
From: Raines Cohen (rc2-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:30:58 -0800 (PST)
Since people are always asking these sort of things, here's the 2005 age
distribution for Berkeley cohousing, based on the birthday list posted in
the CH (the one where people get to write down what kind of cake or other
observance they would like, and then others (or sometimes the birthday
person him or herself) sign up to bake or perform the ceremony):

AGE
36
74
75
65
66
 4
48
51
8
52
 4
42
13
45
50
50
22
64
17
53
36
54
49
36
39
23
 4
2
43
54

so, with a little number-crunching (and removing two 20-something kids
who have grown up in the community but moved offsite yet still come back
to do laundry and/or visit and eat the occasional meal so they're still
on the birthday list), we can conclude that for the residential
population at large (excluding two nonparticipating room-renting
housemates who didn't make this list):

n = 27
mean    40.5
median  46.5
standard deviation 22.0

If we look at just adults (and, coincidentally, all unit legal owners
plus our associate member who lives nextdoor):

        mean    51.5
        median  50

min 36 (n = 3)
max 75

standard deviation 11.7

The last two units to turn over (in the past two years) have moved this
number down slightly, both adding one household member in the upper 30s
and one in the upper 40s. Losing the two twenty-somethings (one had
already been away at college for some  years) moved it up.

Raines

Raines Cohen <my initials,2,dash,coho,dash,L at my first name .com>

  Member, Swan's Market Coho [Oakland, CA] <http://www.swansway.com/>
Thinking hard about values... even five years after move-in, it's never
too late!

  Secretary, Berkeley [CA] Cohousing
Where emotional and spiritual support requested by a neighbor in the time
of need at our last meeting makes ongoing budget discussions seem simple.

  Supporter, East Bay Cohousing <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Where a holiday social led to lecture-series plans for 2005.

  Boardmember, Coho/US <http://www.cohousing.org/>
Asking for your support to help us build the movement.