"CC", "SC" in general, and "N" (lm)
From: CHRISTINE COE (CHRISTINECOE1MSN.COM)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:57:12 -0800 (PST)
Dear Cohousing-List--

Thanks, Rob, for the cautionary statements about cohousing which highlights any
one particular
faith-view.  From my experience, it makes all the difference in the world when
and if a group like this
comes together to be an insular, "holy huddle" vs. a group that gregariously
reaches out in hospitality
to a variety of people.

This, historically, was the difference between the very restrictive Essenes at
Q'mran and the early
Jerusalem Jewish Christian communities, who were accused of being atheists and
anarchists for working
to subvert the social order by allowing, among other things, men and women,
servants and children,
Jews and Gentiles to eat at the same table, at the same time, in fellowship.
This was an unheard-
of affront to both the Judaism and the secular Greek and Roman philosophies of
that day.

It is perhaps surprising to learn that these kinds of communities openly
flaunted their rebellion against
an oppressive social order.  The Magna Charta of human relationships was penned
by Paul in Gal. 3:28:
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are
all one in Christ Jesus"
(admittedly not the open-ended statement of interfaith ecumenism many might
hope for-- but radically
subversive for its day).  This, coming from a man who used to pray, "I thank
God that Thou didst not
make me a woman, a slave, or a Greek" as part of his morning spiritual
imprecations.  Could it be that
there really is a remedy for sectarian, class-dominated male chauvinism?  That
might certainly indicate
there really is a God!  Something certainly changed Paul's mind radically-- he
credits it to getting
"straightened-out" by Jesus.

Part of it, at least, came from a fresh look at Gen. 1:27, where God is
represented as
deciding to create humankind in "his image, male and female he created them."
Centuries of male
theologians viewed the "male and female" part as an incidental added detail;
when in fact it is an
explanation of what it means to be created in God's image, as a dynamic
fellowship of inter-related and
distinct persons who together most faithfully represent the image of God.  That
is, God being neither
merely male nor female, can only be accurately imaged by both coming together
in good-hearted,
gregarious, equal fellowship.   That spirit seems to be very evident in this
listserv.

Let me hasten to add that I am painfully aware of the many excesses carried out
in the name of
Christianity.  These are particularly egregious since one of the central
premises is that the kind of change
of heart necessary for hope-filled living cannot be legislated (Gal. 3:21), it
has to be seen faithfully
demonstrated.  I struggle, along with many of you, to continue to hope for a
better future, in the
midst of a mess.  It's, at least in part, your hope in the future of cohousing
we share; but there is still
much work to do.  A mutually-respectful, hopeful dialogue must also go forward.

Rob wrote earlier about a visit to the Mennonite cohousing community in
Seattle, and seems to have
concluded that they were nice folks.  I can only guess he felt welcomed and
included among them.  I
would only hope that he'd feel similarly amidst a group like ours.  We do, by
the way, have two members
who are not Christians, by their own description, who nevertheless are active
and valued participants and
who have agreed to our ethos.  We'd welcome any questions or comments about the
webpage or
related issues it brings up;
www.bartcommunity.org<http://www.bartcommunity.org/>, and welcome inquiries or
visitors.

I certainly don't think it will be everybody's cup of tea.  I just hope it will
be found worthy of the
"cohousing" designation, and that we can feel included in things, by virtue of
the large-hearted
inclusiveness of this movement.  I'd hope to be able to weather the inevitable
misunderstandings
of our project and criticisms of the faith position (many of which I agree
with) which has driven
other cohousers to stay "under the radar."

Rob's comments are pertinent: "Somewhat early on they got blasted by somebody
or other (Not me!)
and decided that they are really not interested in being part of any
"movements" thank you, and thus
they do not participate in any networking or other connection to the greater
cohousing world. I happen
to have a personal connection which is the only reason I know of them at all,
and I must admit they
were very nervous about me coming to visit the first time, afraid I would "blow
the whistle" on them,
tell them they were misappropriating cohousing because they have a religious
foundation. Of course I
did nothing of the sort."

Large-heartedness is the atmosphere in which any real social progress happens.
We are willing to be put
to those tests.  We will inevitably fail some of them, in your minds, just as
each of us individually fails on
occasion.  Perhaps there is room for the kind of forgiving acceptance which
undergirds so many of your
lives, as far as I can tell, from reading your posts and hearing your hearts.

Best wishes for the season!

Guy and Christine Coe