Re: HOA acting as distributor
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:46:33 -0800 (PST)
Hi -

Now that you've explained this a bit better Norm, we do the same deal for
high speed internet and are about to do it for TV.  In our case, the wiring was
designed into every unit during construction (and the group raised the funds
for the extra wiring with a member assessment).  Not everyone will hook up to
the the services, but they are available to every unit, which helps their
market
value.  That is because the total cost for both will probably run under $20
per unit per month.  And maybe under $15.  And that beats anything an
individual can purchase in our market.

I see this as just another service or utility provided by our condominium
association, up there with trash/recycling pick-up (which we must contract for)
or water (we're on individual heat/cooling, but group gas and water/hot water).

To me, the whole liability thing is scary if you focus on it too long, but I
think you really need to get the facts, including the probabilities of
anything going wrong, then make a decision and go with it.  Life is risk -
though our
decision was that this is a pretty small one.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland