RE: Is the Common House a Public Building?
From: Eileen McCourt (emccourtcharter.net)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:55:58 -0800 (PST)
We are a public building but not a commercial building.  We had to
provide stall toilets based on anticipated use and separate men's and
women's lavatories.  We have a single accessible shower detached from
the lavatories.  We follow the regulations for a public use of the
building, and our pool follows public use rules, which are more
stringent than residential pools regulations, e.g. we must demonstrate
that we test the water each day and that we have a process in place to
shut down the pool and spa to remedy any public health conditions.

We have an elevator and underground parking which also have public use
conditions.  In my understanding, being a public building simply means
that we are built to standards that are based on more concentrated use
than a residential building. We fought this, especially the toilets and
lavatories, but were overruled by the city.  I think our architect was
trying to avoid a commercial designation, so didn't fight too vigorously
on the subject of being a public building.  While I was very opposed to
the bathroom being as they are, they're not really onerous, as I
expected them to be.

--eileen