Re: Is the Common House a Public Building?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:19:57 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 20, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Laura Fitch wrote:

There is absolutely no other way that the common house can be interpretted
in Massachusetts (or Vermont, Maine, or NY) code other than as a Public
Building.  It is a building with public access.

Depends on how you define public access.

The general public does not have access to our commonhouse. We do not allow meetings that are advertised to the public. We have hosted occasional neighborhood meetings but only in the same way one would invite a group to one's home. A member has to host every event. Members are responsible for their guests. We don't rent the space.

The Mail Carrier has the entry code. A few people have given their cleaning people the code (unauthorized).

That doesn't seem "public" to me. We do have exit signs, and fire alarms, etc.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC