public building
From: Laura Fitch (lfitchkrausfitch.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:28:42 -0800 (PST)
Here is an item (below) that I received this morning.  It is an excellent
example of why our commonhouse is a public building.

I am also copying the definition of public building from the Massachusetts
Architectural Access Code:
"A building privately or publicly financed that is open to and used by the
public including...buildings having places of assembly (common house dining
rooms)...multiple dwellings consisting of three of more units (any cohousing
with multiplexes)...public use areas of apartment buildings and
condominiums...Public use describes interior or exterior rooms or spaces that
are made available to the general public.  Public use may be provided at a
building or facility that is privately or publicly owned."

In otherwords - Massachusetts law is pretty clear.  It doesn't matter that a
resident is sponsoring an event - any public event triggers this law.

Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 5:57 PM
Subject: OK with big event at Coho late August?

Dear Coho mates,
Back in the 1970s-1980s, Felice and I were part of a political community named
Movement for a New Society that advocated nonviolent social change. We would
like to hold a reunion of the group this August 25-28, 2005, here at PVCC.

This would mean 50 to 90 people (including children) coming here for those four
days, using the whole common house, tents in the soccer field, guests in some
of our houses (and some in Bed & Breakfasts or motels or other non coho friends
houses), probably a meeting tent in the usual place (field between the Common
House and the office, and a bunch of cars (some would fly in, some car pool -
people coming from Boston, Philadelphia, Seattle, Minneapolis and a variety of
other places.

We would make a financial contribution for the use of the space and take
responsibility for cleanup and other aspects of Common House use policy.

I would like to know if anyone has concerns. We want to move ahead with
confirming the date in this week.

Jerry Koch-Gonzalez
413-549-1747
jkgonzalez [at] comcast.net

Training & Consulting Services: organizational development, leadership
coaching, communication skills
Communicating with Compassion: workshops based on the work of Marshall
Rosenberg and cnvc.org