Marketing Cohousing Effectively
From: Pacific Gardens Cohousing Community (cohousingpacificgardens.ca)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:35:39 -0800 (PST)
Greetings everyone,

Thank you to all of you who contribute from your vast store-house of experience to all of us who are just starting the journey!

I am seeking suggestions on how to better market our project to prospective purchasers of units, and especially to families with children. Currently, we have lots of inquiries from people looking for co-ops, communal living, affordable housing and rentals. While we intend to have rentals available, we first need to attract purchasers.

People who are seriously interested in purchasing our units tend to be singles and couples who are middle-aged (empty-nesters) or retired seniors. They are the most able to move here and participate early in the process. We are in our design phase and would like more commitment and input from the mix of ages and family sizes that we hope to have living in our community.

Our current design mix of units is:

2-one bedroom
3-one bedroom and den
6-two bedroom
6-two bedroom and den
2-three bedroom
5-three bedroom and den
1-four bedroom with den

-How did you market your project to find a balanced mix of purchasers?
-Did you have short phrases that caught people's attention; conveyed community and ownership? -Where did you find people who were most likely to become residents? Local people, visitors, out of country? -What publications, media, groups and target audiences were the most productive for attracting new members?

I look forward to receiving any feedback and great ideas that worked in other communities. Have a wonderful holiday season...the weather is balmy in Nanaimo. Join us, if a green Christmas appeals to you!

Susana